VegaNation supports Hillside!

VegaNation supports Hillside!

Thursday 18 August 2011

Vegan 'Egg' Sandwiches!!


 Wow! These were absolutely lovely! I made vegan egg salad years ago and it wasn't good at all, so hadn't made it since. In hindsight, I can see that the previous recipe was way too heavy on the turmeric, as tho' the yellow colouring was more important than the taste, and also we didn't have black salt in those days, so it wouldn't have been as good as this, even without all the turmeric! I am a much more experienced vegan cook these days and wouldn't blindly follow a recipe like that and end up with something that tasted horrible!
 This was really simple: I just pressed and drained a block of tofu and mashed it up with a fork. Then I added vegan mayonnaise- I had two kinds, because we were just finishing up a jar of garlic mayo, so some was garlic and some was plain mayonnaise. Then I added some black pepper, and, the secret of my success, black salt, which we sell in our vegan shop at  www.veganation.co.uk which made it suddenly taste so eggy! I chilled the 'egg salad' in an old ice cream tub in the fridge until we were ready to serve and eat it. I didn't have any chives but I went and picked some organic salad leaves from the garden. A good vegan tip- you'll thank me for this one- if you decide to grow lettuces at any point in the future, make sure that you don't sow anything FRILLY like my old adversary 'Salad Bowl Lettuce' which takes hours to check over for bugs, because each leaf is so frilly- each frill has frills! So, make sure that you sow something with FLAT leaves- it honestly saves so much time! We also sowed a kind of heritage beet, this year, called Bull's Blood Beet which has small beets but also salad leaves, and the leaves are a beautiful wine red, so, since evolution is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't work THAT fast, all the green bugs in the garden show up really well on the red leaves! In a few generations, I suppose, their mutant maroon great great grandchildren might be quite hard to spot, but we're ok for now!!
  ANYHOO, where was I? Oh yes, I served the Vegan Egg Salad on home grown salad leaves in home made bread rolls. It was..astonishing. Two of the children loved it (which is quite good going, round here..); it must have been a quite different experience for them because they've been vegan since birth so they've never eaten eggs. The same two really like 'Vegan Fried Eggs' which we also make using Black Salt, so they seem to really like Black Salt! Whereas, for people who have eaten (and miss) egg sandwiches, it was just so amazingly like hard boiled egg chopped up in mayo- a taste we thought we'd never have again- that we had to keep reminding ourselves that it was tofu! If you'd like to try and make this, then I'd really recommend buying some Black Salt first, it does make the difference. The hens say thank you and send pecks on the cheek! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment