VegaNation supports Hillside!

VegaNation supports Hillside!

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Mofo Day Five: Purple Potatoes!


  We had a day out planned for today but don't feel ready to leave the kittens for so long yet so we stayed home instead. Because we were going to go out today we didn't think we were going to have time to cook when we got in, so we were going to go for a bit of vegan pre-prepared comfort food- Linda Macartney pies, green beans and chips, with baked beans and chips for Pony who doesn't like Linda Mac pies.
  I have mixed feelings about the pies- they're sort of ok but after we've eaten them I sort of feel as tho' I've eaten something which isn't very nice or wholesome...
  The children definitely seemed at a bit of a loose end- they were driving each other about in assorted vehicles including a little supermarket trolley and a toddler's block wagon and slamming each other into the cupboard-formerly-known-as-the-dishwasher which I didn't think was likely to do the dishwasher-that-was any harm but although they were really enjoying it, the children were getting a bit bumped about. So, I suggested that they go and dig up some potatoes for supper which sent them hurtling outside in great excitement. We haven't yet had any potatoes from garden this year so we were all keen to see what we'd produced. Fin (8) has grown a mixture of Highland Burgundy Red, Congo Blue and Shetland Black potatoes and Pony (7) and Mouse (4) have each grown a row of Blue Danube potatoes- as you might surmise from the names, we like our potatoes to be colourful. This year in the garden, we've grown purple carrots, sweetcorn in blue,white and red, purple and yellow dwarf beans, yellow, pink, white, black and purple radishes, yellow and white pattypan squashes! We think that if you don't have colour- you don't have ANYTHING!
  We've just got a couple of orders to fulfill for VegaNation, our darling vegan shop (at www.veganation.co.uk ) and then we are going to get the potatoes ready for supper. Fin has filled a colander full at the moment but they are still a bit earthy so their colours won't really show so much until they've been cleaned. There may be a few potato portraits coming up today!!
  UPDATE: We are NEVER having Linda McCartney Pies again- EVER! If you ever see me wavering on the subject, REMIND ME of this moment and this solemn vow; if you ever hear me saying how easy and  convenient they are TELL ME that they are fatty, over-salted, and tasteless; if you ever see me putting a pack in our shopping trolley, be a friend and TAKE THEM OUT AGAIN!!




1 comment:

  1. Hubby didn't think much of their sausage rolls either and I just didn't want to eat them. I'm really glad I didn't now! Your potatos are AWESOME! I love food in colours. I think colours should be all over a dinner plate. I am looking forward to starting my veggie garden one of these days. Thanks for such a great post & brilliant pics! xox

    ReplyDelete