VegaNation supports Hillside!

VegaNation supports Hillside!

Monday 31 October 2011

Enough MoFo Already!!!

Well, it's National Cinder Toffee Day, so we were, of course, obligated to make that delicious sticky treat with Fin, Pony and Mouse. It is a particularly satisfying recipe to make as it takes all of about five minutes to make and then you have a treat like a Crunchie. You can even cover the pieces with chocolate to make vegan Crunchies. Oh for Goodness Sake- this is insane- I'M SOO BORED OF WRITING ABOUT COOKING!!!  IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!!
  My blog has always contained some stuff about food- of course it has, this is a blog about being vegan, so it would be weird if it didn't mention food from time to time!! But to be absolutely honest, veganism is not even about food for me- it's not about whether or not you can replicate non-vegan foods- fun sometimes, but absolutely not central to our vegan diet. It's not about whether or not veganism is a healthy diet- it's potentially the healthiest diet there is, but clearly wouldn't be if you subsisted solely on, say, Cinder Toffee! It's not about whether veganism is better for our poor beleaguered planet than a meat-based or vegetarian diet, which it undoubtedly is.
  It's actually got nothing at all to do with cooking for me, even tho' I love cooking; or the planet, although I love our planet; and, this may surprise some readers, it's actually got nothing at all to do with the appalling conditions and terrible suffering endured by factory farmed animals, before their short miserable lives are ended in the unimaginable terror of  ''humane slaughter''.
   I am vegan because I am an abolitionist and veganism is the moral baseline of the animal rights position; it's the fact that animals are exploited that troubles me, not merely the conditions in which this takes place. All the arguments and evidence in support of veganism are very compelling: it's healthier, better for the planet and it's very easy to do, especially these days, but most important by far, it's the morally correct thing to do.
    I have really enjoyed lots of the brilliant MoFo posts I've read, and thanks for all the lovely comments I received from those who visited this blog during MoFo. I think MoFo is a great idea and in the long run it may well convert a lot more people to veganism than I ever do; but through this process which has been by turns interesting, stimulating, amusing, and stressful, I've come to realise more and more that, for me, it's not about the food.
    
Play free web games.

2 comments:

  1. Guess you're not mofo'ing next year then? But at least you can say you've done it. :)

    I think everyone who did VeganMOFO should all meet up in Hawaii for a well earned holiday! Some 5 star vegan hotel should have a water view and pamper us for a week! :)

    Keep in touch,
    Savannah xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! no, probably not!
    Yes, Savannah, let's do it! The pampering in a hotel AND staying in touch!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete