VegaNation supports Hillside!

VegaNation supports Hillside!

Saturday 29 October 2011

MoFo Day Twentynine: Cake Magic!

  Well, after Miranda's Great Lemon Drizzle Disaster, I decided to take the matter in hand myself!!  I wanted to make the exact opposite of Miranda's cake, really, because hers turned out too thin, so I wanted a cake that was much bigger and more..delightfully voluptuous than that. I decided to use a chocolate layer cake recipe and convert it because it's such a big sumptuous cake, and because Miranda warned me not to!
  The flour quantity of the ex-chocolate layer cake was about double the original lemon drizzle recipe so I doubled the amount of lemon zest that I put into the cake batter, and also the lemon and sugar for the drizzle.
  The cake came out of the oven looking absolutely amazing- it was about two inches thick; and after 45 minutes was beautifully cooked all the way through. I pierced the top of the cake all over, while it was still hot, and still in its Springform tin (is that what they are called? Or is that a kind of bra?) The word came into my head when I was typing, but it doesn't seem to mean anything now it's out on the page..?? Those tins are called that have a clip so you can undo them and get the cake out that way? Anyone?
  Anyway, I poured the drizzle over the top; I had to keep spreading it as it was tending to pool slightly in the middle which was weighing down the sponge. In the end, I took off the Springform? (Maidenform?) so that the drizzle could..drizzle down the sides and the whole cake was covered.
   We have been working hard on our magic tricks today and yesterday; because the children wanted to do a magic show for our visitors. Fin did a brilliant Sword in the Stone trick, Pony did a sneaky card trick which my grandfather taught me when I was eight and which I have now taught to my eight year old (proud mother moment!) and Mouse invented one which amazed and astounded our friends by SOMEHOW turning two of those gold plastic trays from the inside of a chocolate box into ONE- and then when they reappeared from behind his back they were TWO again!! Amazing!  And me? I performed cake magic! That, my friends is how, with nothing up my sleeves,  I turned a double chocolate layer cake into a single layer, double thickness, lemon drizzle birthday cake! I am now going to saw it in half!

No comments:

Post a Comment