VegaNation supports Hillside!

VegaNation supports Hillside!

Sunday 30 October 2011

MoFo Day Thirty: Pancakes- Then and Now!

  Well, it's Sunday morning, so that means that it's Absolute 80's on the radio (looks like ASBO on the digital display!) and pancakes for breakfast!! We only have two meals on Sunday because...um..because it's Sunday??  Having a filling late breakfast and then an early supper gives you the whole middle of the day free to do things..or nothing at all! That sometimes feels really necessary as I'm sure that all vegans will attest, vegan cooking can be quite time consuming, and we cook almost everything from scratch, so sometimes it seems that we've not long washed up after breakfast, and it's time to start preparing lunch.Actually, I've just had a horrible thought! I don't want any non-vegans reading this and being put off the whole idea of veganism. Hey, non-vegan people out there! You need to go vegan! Vegan cooking is really fun! There are no yucky bits in our food!! People will think you are really cool! And the cooking is really, really easy- and SO FAST!!  There! That should do it- where was I?
  Stupid camera batteries!! After I thought everyone was finished breakfast, I used the last of the batter to make three pancakes to be immortalised in MoFo. I arranged them on a plate, adjusted the lighting, applied colourless nail polish to make them glisten alluringly (joking about the nail polish!) and ..took one photo before the camera batteries went (thanks, useless ebay seller for my rubbish batteries..). Normally, you can get a bit more juice in the batteries by re-charging them for only a few minutes. I went off to recharge the batteries and when I got back, the children had eaten the pancakes!! So, I'm really hoping that, when I put the batteries back in the camera, the ONE picture that I managed to take before my models were eaten, has turned out ok!! 
   When I worked as a waitress in a vegetarian restaurant years ago (schlepping about plates of stinky cheese lasagne- bleugh!)  the chef made pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. The restaurant always had loads of vegan options (for my lunch!!) and we had lots of vegan customers, so I thought it was wrong that no-one was making any pancakes for the vegans- including me!!. I prevailed on Gilles, the lovely French chef, and: Voila! He obligingly rustled up a batch of vegan pancake batter and started production- I had the first one! 
   I still remember how lovely it felt that he did that, and how special he he made me feel. I had not yet managed to make vegan pancakes successfully at home and hadn't had pancakes for years, so it was really a very rare treat.
  Now, many many years later, I have developed my own recipe for vegan pancakes and my children are absolutely used to having them for breakfast every Sunday. They have never had the experience of NOT being able to eat pancakes, or cake, or ice cream for that matter, so although they love pancakes they are a not a particularly unusual treat, they have them every few days,and to some degree, probably take them for granted.. Their experience of eating them is really the opposite of mine in the veggie restaurant all those years ago- and that makes me feel very proud!!
  
  
  

2 comments: